J. David Moran
AKA: “Mr. Wizard”
- Boston University School of Law, LL.M., 1976
Law School Scholar
Cornell University Law School, J.D., 1973
- University of Notre Dame , B.A., 1968
Economics and Russian Area Studies
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, MA
- U.S. Tax Court, MA
As an individual or a company, you can put your trust in David Moran. As a partner at Gesmer Updegrove, J. David Moran focuses on estate administration, corporate taxation, and commercial finance. He’s also a member of the firm’s tax and corporate group. For more than 30 years, David has provided legal advice and innovative strategies for his business clients. He advises clients on shareholder, securities and compliance issues, and negotiates workouts for family disputes.
- He advises clients on stock option plans, executive compensation, deferred compensation, and other types of incentive plans.
- He handles complex tax matters involving tax investigations, including allegations of civil tax fraud at both the state and federal level.
- He’s been involved in the restructuring of certain ERISA defined benefit plans and related pension benefit programs.
- David counsels existing clients and start-ups on the tax implications of corporate reorganizations and financings.
- David frequently advises growth-oriented companies involved in medical technology, software, and Internet commerce. He also works with traditional manufacturing and service oriented businesses.
- On behalf of a software developer of clinical resource management product, he guided the company through a complex transaction to facilitate current and upcoming filing requirements in the FDA-approval process.
- David successfully crafted a business formation strategy for a start-up fiber optical company, preserving the interests of the business as it sought additional financing.
- He often handles complex licensing agreements for his clients. David has also dealt with many corporate issues including corporate reorganization, both nationally and internationally.
Active in the community, he is a former member of the Board of Overseers for the Boston Children's Hospital and a former member of the executive committee of the Cornell Law Association. David is also a former vice-chair of the Marblehead Finance Committee.
In Marblehead, two wonderful cats have deigned to share their house with David and his wife. Whilst there David takes great pleasure in home improvement projects and reading books about American history. Being near the ocean, David makes time to appreciate a good sunrise and sunset.