Gesmer Updegrove LLP (the "Firm") recognizes that our work may have a direct or indirect effect on the local, regional and global environment. We are committed to reducing any harmful effects on the environment and promoting the understanding of sustainability.
The Firm has joined the Massachusetts Bar Association Eco-Challenge and has become an MBA Lawyer Environmental Pledge Partner. The Firm pledges to use the MBA Green Guidelines in developing environmentally sustainable practices in the following areas:
- Encourage all employees to turn off lights at the end of the day and notify building cleaning staff to do the same.
- Mandating the use of screen savers and requiring everyone to turn off computers after work and when idle for more than 30 minutes. In the event that an employee forgets to turn off their computer when leaving for the day, idle computers will automatically shut down by 8:00 p.m.
- Shared copy machines and printers are put in standby mode after 2 hours of non-use or turned off at the end of the day.
- The Firm will commit to 90% of all types of paper purchased by the firm to have at least 30% post consumer recycled content.
- All copiers and printers have a duplex option and employees are encouraged to use it whenever possible. This option can also be accessed via the employees' desktops.
- The Firm for many years has distributed working documents to clients by email and will continue to use the scan option rather than printing hard copies when possible.
- The Firm commits to purchasing "Energy Star" appliances when available.
- Working with building management, the Firm strives to recycle paper, cardboard products, bottles and cans.
- All paper being shredded by our vendor will be verified that the residual will be recycled.
- The Firm will verify, to the best of our ability, that old computer equipment (CPU's, monitors, etc.) will be donated and reused or recycled.
- The Firm will try to the best of our ability to reuse, recycle or donate office future whenever possible.
GREENHOUSE GAS REDUCTION
The Firm currently offers T-Pass purchases, parking reimbursement and transit program reimbursement through pre-tax payroll deductions. The majority of employees currently use mass transit and the Firm will continue to encourage this trend.
ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS PURCHASES
- Purchase energy efficient Energy Star office equipment and appliances.
- Purchase computer monitors and printers that have an energy efficient "standby" mode.
- Purchase products with recycled content whenever available.
- Purchase cleaning products with low toxicity and high biodegradability.
- Encourage the use of municipal water supplies to reduce bottled water consumption by maintaining a filtered water cooler as an alternative.
- Purchase and encourage use of durable plates, cups and utensils.
The Firm will continually monitor its efforts and post results for all employees to view.
> Email This Page